Thursday, March 15, 2012

an update

So, I promised an update, and as we have been making semi-regular trips to the thrift store to drop things off, it seems like now is as good a time as any to do one. We are still not even close to done, but Easter's not here, either. Let's see, what have we accomplished in the last week?

I started on my fabric, but did not get very far. Currently, I keep all my fabric either extremely neatly folded in under-bed plastic storage drawers or balled up unfolded in a pile in a corner of the bedroom/on the loveseat/living room floor. When I do get around to organizing, it has to be just right, which is probably one of the reasons why so much is not organized- the very thought of that much work either exhausts or intimidates me. But, I'm conquering that and working on it anyway, which is why I picked out a bunch of fabric from various house piles and started neatly folding and sorting it. I'm getting to the place where I can actually sort cottons from canvas and almost two of the drawers are folded.

We also made some headway in terms of laundry. The sweaters will likely get done this weekend, as we had three days in the high 70s/low 80s this week (crazy, wonderful weather), but the tanktops, pajamas and socks/unmentionables were completed. The t-shirts are very neatly folded and all fit in one drawer but still must be pared down (with Mark's help).

neatly organized but still too many.


I tackled above the fridge and the freezer in a cleaning frenzy last week and am very pleased with how both have turned out. Similarly, Mark worked through his music binder (although he needs more page protectors to finish the job). Still, I think that can be crossed off the list. 

spice jars in background will be repurposed for sand. new spice jars are just a little too large for our current rack!


Our sand and spice collections are linked projects, as the plan is to purchase new jars for the spices (*we* have broken several since we got married), and recycle the old spice jars for the sand collection. We ran into a snafu, however, when we realized that the new jars we bought did not fit in our old spice racks (which I hate anyway). This has been an area of much discussion/internet research, as our kitchen is T-I-N-Y, and the spice racks have to hang on the walls (but we have cinderblock walls and cannot install anything heavy). I am fairly certain that I want to now build a new spice rack (and I'm liking this one), so perhaps we can look at this over the weekend.

All in all, we are well on our way.
  1. bathroom medicine cabinet
  2. underneath the bathroom sink
  3. Moses' toys & treats
  4. tea 
  5. cloth napkins
  6. cookbooks 
  7. media cabinet 
  8. DVDs
  9. important papers drawer 
  10. magazines 
  11. tanktops
  12. pajamas
  13. T-shirts
  14. fabric... dun Dun DUN
  15. silverware drawer
  16. notepads/journals/notecards
  17. under the kitchen sink
  18. unfinished projects
  19. sweaters
  20. books
  21. dishes/kitchen cabinets/above the fridge
  22. pantry
  23. socks/underwear
  24. paperwork: filebox
  25. shoes
  26. the massive mound of sewing stuff eating our loveseat
  27. holiday decorations
  28. camping gear
  29. patterns
  30. ribbon
  31. sand
  32. spices
  33. our cars
  34. jewelry
  35. Mark's music folder
  36. medicine drawer
  37. towels
  38. tool box
  39. china hutch
  40. freezer

1 comment:

  1. Spice rack looks cool, but I'd rather see a lip on the front of each shelf to ward off disaster. How are you thinking to mount it to the cinder block wall?

    ReplyDelete