Tuesday, March 20, 2012

say hello... to my little friend.

not a baby.

That is a Scarface reference, people. I hope you know it. If you do not, well, I just hope you didn't think that we were having a baby or getting a new puppy or something.

It arrived today in this enormous box!  Which contained another box, and inside of it was another box!  Normally I would be complaining about the packaging, but we know lots of people who are moving, so the boxes will definitely be used.

my little friend came in this not so little box!

We have already used it twice, in just about 24 hours. We L-O-V-E it. I don't think an electric juicer is an kitchen appliance I would have been interested in if not for Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead (you can stream it on Netflix). While the title of that documentary is honestly enough to turn me off, it was recommended by someone at my Weight Watchers meeting who called it 'motivational'. I was in need of some motivation several weeks ago, and so Mark and I watched it-- and it was motivational!

Before you ask, the point of the documentary is NOT to make people go out and buy juicers. And if you've seen the documentary, then don't worry-- Mark and I don't harbor any illusions of 30 day juice fasts resulting in 60 pound weight losses. BUT, we do think that the juicer will help us meet our good health guidelines of eating at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in a day, which is something that I have been struggling with.

After we saw the documentary, we got thinking about how juicing could benefit us. The documentary mentions micronutrients, and faster absorption as a benefit of juicing. We plan to have some juice with our regular breakfast in the morning and it will give us an edge (and for me, take the pressure off checking those boxes) throughout the day. Day one: so far so good!

We cashed in our credit card bonus to pay for this thing.  It's the Breville Juice Fountain Compact (I know I've mentioned kitchen space is at a premium over here). So far, we think it's easy to use, easy to clean and does an awesome job of juicing, which we can tell from both the pulp, which is fully juiced and left behind- no big chunks- and the juice (no pulp).

green juice from kale!

Our first run had two apples, a bunch of grapes, a pear and several handfuls of kale. We love that the juice was green but tasted like apple cider. No added sugar necessary!

frothy! orange from all the citrus.

Our second run was a combination of grapefruit, clementines, a nectarine, apple and some grapes.  We are loving the juices (although we have to count points for them because they are all fruit).  I can't wait to try a bunch of other combinations and see what we come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment