Wednesday, April 10, 2013

ditty bags. da dum dum dum.

ditty bag.

I recently purchased Michellepatterns Ditty Bag pattern.  I love it!  It is a well-written pattern, the final product is super cute and I am using it on my trip to Texas right now.  The large size (the pattern comes with three) is perfect for the Ziploc of 3oz liquid items I am carrying in my purse (and lotion/ointment prescriptions, joy).  Plus, Michelle frequently has sales, including a $5 Friday deal every week.  Score!

I whipped this up last weekend relatively quickly.  Let’s call it my recovery project from the baby quilt last week?  A fast finish that makes me feel like a winner (WINNING!).  Although I love the ditty bag pattern and can see why it was written the way it was written, I’ve got some thoughts on how I would sew them up the next time.  One of these days, I plan to get into selling sewn goods at craft fairs.  So it wouldn’t hurt to have some notes on sewing up a bunch at once.

this bag has such a great shape!

Fusible interfacing is the way this bag holds its shape so well.  In the instructions, you are to cut out a certain number of each pattern piece in both exterior, interior fabrics and interfacing.  The next time I do this, I will fuse the interfacing to the fabric and then cut out the patterns—instead of cutting out and then fusing.  I think this will help my borders be cleaner and the ditty bag’s construction more precise.

it looks so professional to me!

Speaking of the pattern, I understand why the pattern is drafted to be cut on the fold.  It’s easier to print the pieces and requires less paper/cardstock.  I hate cutting on the fold, however.  My fabric always shifts.  And really, even the largest finished ditty bag is not that big.  I will create a full size pattern piece next go round.  This will increase the speed, and even allow me to cut out more than one at a time (with rotary cutter no less)!

I used canvas as the interlining to give the back of the bag a nice stiffness.  I would definitely do this again.  This will eventually help me get through my large collection of duck cloth.  I’ll just have to remember not to use a patterned/colored interlining if the fabrics are thin.

I used a DS Quilts for Joann's fabric for the exterior and a red and white gingham from my stash for the interior.

I love the strap!  It’s the best feature.  But, it’s barely long enough to fit over a door handle, and I anticipate hanging my bag up when I travel.  I am also planning to make a ditty bag for Moses’s brushes and doggy bags so we’re not always wondering where those went?  It would be great if the handle were long enough to fit around my wrist, so I could carry it more easily (like when Moses is going on an overnight doggy adventure).  The pattern also did not call for this to be interfaced, but I did and I would definitely do that again.

I think it's red and green with out reading "Christmas".

It would be cute to add some kind of pull to the zipper.  Maybe a jump ring with a bead attached?  It could also be done with embroidery floss when the opening is whip stitched shut.  I should work on my whip-stitching!

A last note to self: find your dang straight pins.  Pinning would have helped keep things aligned and saved time. 

Can’t wait to churn out some additional ditty bags in vintage sheets!  After all, they are my very favorite thing to sew with.  I bet a small ditty bag would be perfect for jewelry when traveling.  I stooped to dropping my jewelry in a pocket in my purse this trip.  Ah well, I can always be better prepared next time

All zipped and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment