Tuesday, March 6, 2012

back in the saddle again

The sewing saddle, that is! After identifying my issues, I finally wrestled the tension on my bobbin, found my missing quarter-eighths foot, and reprinted an entirely new set of Farmer's Wife templates. In addition to re-doing some of my blocks tonight (and figuring out some new ones), I also worked on a project I've been thinking about for awhile.  More on that after the Farmer's blocks, though.

Without further ado, here are my four new (and re-done) Farmer's Wife blocks, each measuring exactly 6.5" square!
re-done "Attic Windows," block #1
"Autumn Tints," block #2


re-done "Basket Weave," block #4
"Bowtie," block #10

My other project is my version of this Potluck Bowl Cover, something that has been gathering dust pinned to my "To Sew" pinterest board. My version is a little different, because I wanted the cover to be two layers and I wanted the inner fabric to coordinate with the outer fabric. I also wanted there to be a place for the serving utensils to be kept, since they match the bowl. This is what I came up with.

This beautiful bamboo bowl in purple is a salad themed gift for a friend's (very, very belated) birthday.
My version doesn't use bias tape, but has a cute ruffled edge created by the elastic.
It also allows you to bring the servers-- and if the channels are empty when the potluck's over, you'll remember to hunt your missing pieces down before leaving.

Off to potluck you go!
My friend's favorite food is salad and she is preparing for a life in ministry, so I think it's safe to say there may be a potluck salad or two in her future. She also will be getting a lovely metal colander (it fits in the bowl) and a set of organic, gluten-free fruit concentrated salad dressings which are divine (I know. I tasted them before I bought them)!  Hope she likes it.

It feels so good to be able to sew again. I missed a working machine so much I started looking at new machines-- I'm glad that was premature.

No comments:

Post a Comment