Thursday, February 23, 2012

building a blouse, pt. 2


I mentioned previously that I am working on finding the perfect spring/summer blouse pattern.  On my second try, I used a pattern I had purchased more than a year ago, a Cynthia Rowley for Simplicity (pattern #2593).  I'm pretty pleased with how fast this turned out (about an hour and a half!), and how well it fits!

The multi-size option of Simplicity patterns is really awesome. Often, I will have a hard time finding certain tops or dresses to fit me in bust, waist and hips. With this blouse, I cut a size 16 for the bust, but a size 22 for the hips! Imagine if I had to make the blouse all one size...

Because I had not made a garment to completion using a paper pattern in such a long time, I didn't want to cut into any of my nicer fabric for this blouse.  I used a very loose weave cotton (I am sure it is 100% cotton, and it has the feel of linen) that was given to me by one of Mark's great-aunts who discovered that I loved to sew.  I love the pattern on the fabric, but there was a minor problem with discoloration, so I thought it would be a great choice for the first iteration of this blouse.

The pattern features a gathered neckline...
binding for the neck and arms...
and a 1/4" hem on the bottom.
I like the blouse enough that I will try another variation (one option is a rolled neckline-- cute!), and the blouse I made wasn't too difficult and fits pretty perfectly.  I also love how well it goes with one of my new-to-me thrifted cardigans (my favorite thrift shop was having a sale the last time I was there, 50% off all coats, jackets and sweaters!) that I picked up for just $3.  The cost of this look?  Fabric that was given to me, cardigan, and pattern that I bought forever ago on sale? $4.99 plus tax.

fits me, top to bottom!
if I walked by you, would you hear my clothes shouting, "Spring is coming!"?
That's a deal I can't overlook, and the colors make me feel like spring.  Although I'm going to keep looking for the perfect blouse, this one is not too far off.

2 comments:

  1. It's my new favorite, too! I'm planning a green blouse in this same pattern now, to match a lime green cardigan I also picked up at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete